Thursday, May 7, 2009

Update 2

Yesterday I took the train from Montreux to Geneva, rented a car and drove to Paris to catch up with Steve.

It was an amazing drive; the sun was shining, I hooked up with another car doing the same speed as me and we tag teamed for 4/5ths of the way, I listened to Ani, Yes, Bowie and lots of David Byrne and there were fields of glowing yellow for as far as the eye could see.

Have you ever driven through Iowa? Driving along the highway all you see is corn field after corn field and it is completely flat. Driving through the country side of France there are rolling hills, gentle sloping mountains and instead of corn fields there are endless fields of rapeseed. This is the time of year when the rapeseed plants are in bloom so the fields are golden yellow and in the bright sun they glow. They are also fragrant so my drive was filled with the soft yet heady perfume of the flowering plants. The aroma of rape is reminiscent of lilac; very beautiful. I wanted to stop and take photos to post but there was no way I was going to give up my road partner. Hopefully when Steve and I head back to Switzerland we will make a few photo stops.

Steve was having dinner and drinks with the work fellows last night so on my way in I stopped in The Marais and had a falafel sandwich at L'As du Felafel on Rue des Rosiers. Not the best I've had in the area but the eggplant in the sandwich was outstanding. They have no website for me to direct you to and can you believe it, I forgot to take a picture!

Today was Steve's last day on the project so from here on out we will get to spend more time together and travelling.

We will stay in Paris with Steve's cousins until early next week. We are very much looking forward to that as we are very fond of them and have a great time together.

After Paris, we go back to Switzerland for a few days to re-pack and then we fly to Greece to visit my sister in Athens for a week. After that its back to La Suisse for 2 days and then it's off to Prague. We are driving to Prague and will pick a place along the way to explore and spend a night in. Steve fell in love with Prague when he worked there in the mid-90's. He has always wanted to take me there so we figured why not this trip?

I will post along the way when I can. I still have a post to do about the Paris trip with our friends and some of our time together in Switzerland. While Steve was at the office today I drove into Paris and had great dim sum so look for a post on that too as soon as I have a chance to put my photos together with my thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. "Update" doesn't begin to describe it! More like "Whirlwind!" :)

    I'm so glad to hear that you'll get to spend time with Steve's cousins. They're so sweet, and really fun to spend time with. I'm glad I got to meet them when I was there.

    Prague sounds so wonderful. I bet it's gorgeous this time of year. And Athens, too...

    I'm looking forward to your pictures and thoughts about your travels. Thank you for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve's cousins are glad that they got to meet you too. In fact, we all had dinner last night when they mentioned that.

    Tomorrow Steve and I are going to hit a few markets before we get on the road for Chernex and I will look for the vadouvan.

    ReplyDelete