Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Paris, Our Visit With Friends Friday & Saturday


Our first dinner together in Paris was at L' Ambassade D' Auvergene. I found the restaurant on "Paris Notes", Top Twenty Paris Restaurants. This is not a list of all the finest dining in Paris but rather a guide for some noteworthy spots that are fairly budget friendly as well as a few of the finer dining places. I figured with the company L'Ambassade D'Auvergene was keeping on the list (several places I think well of) that it would be a place to try good regional/country cuisine while we were in Paris. I was not in love with my choice. The restaurant felt touristy and the food was pedestrian. I loved the idea of dishes from the Auvergene region and did some reading about the area before we went to the restaurant so I would know what to expect but the dishes did not rise to the level I was expecting. I found the plates flat, not well seasoned or robust and overall didn't enjoy the dining experience there which is why I won't post any pictures from that meal.

On Saturday we set out to make two of the requisite stops for a first visit to Paris. We first walked down to the Seine and crossed to Ile de la Cite to see Notre Dame. On our way there we poked our heads into several antique shops and art galleries in the St. Paul's Village District, an area of shops and galleries that runs from the back of St. Paul's church down to the Seine.

It being April and the height of tourist season in Paris, the line to go inside the church was long. Our guests decided that seeing the beautiful cathedral from the outside was good enough for a first visit.

Here we are the four musketeers-







From Notre Dame we went to see my favorite Paris icon, the Eiffel Tower. I am madly in love with the Eiffel Tower. Every time I see the towering construction it takes my breath away and every time I see it lit at night it brings me to tears.

This beautiful, frame-worthy, night time photo of the Eiffel Tower is, of course, one of Edsel's shots.

The blurry shot below of Steve and me was not taken with Edsel's uber-amazing camera.




Also from Edsel, Steve & Beth and Edsel & Beth on the third viewing platform of the Eiffel tower. I bailed at the second level.



No comments:

Post a Comment